Subject Line Tips
Put Your Subject Line to Work!
The subject line is one of the most important components of any email. Yet, many email marketers pay little attention and often miss the boat when it comes to captivating readers in the inbox.
What does it take to craft a good subject line? It all comes down to testing. While the concept may seem time consuming, or even dull, it’s one of the most useful things email marketers can do to drive open rates and clicks.
Yet, some marketers are often in rush and like to use testing short cuts. Often, those subject line testing “short cuts” lead to mistakes, which can harm an email’s performance and negatively impact a company’s bottom line.
Epsilon released a new series of handouts on Subject Line Tips. Part 1 reveals the importance of subject line testing and how marketers can improve their own strategies with some best practice tips. Part 2 highlights 11 of the most common pitfalls marketers make when it comes to subject line testing, and tips to avoid them.
Part 1: 11 Steps to Subject Line Testing
Part 2: Avoiding 11 Common Pitfalls
1. Plan ahead: Make subject line testing a part of your campaign calendar. Allocate adequate time for testing.
2. Develop new concepts of testing: be creative with testing. Focus on a common theme, such as length, topic, or offer.
3. Create adequate test cells. Decide what metric to test and the number of options you want to test.
4. Document findings and use your learnings for future tests.
5. Be patient. Subject line testing takes time and shouldn’t be rushed. Don’t give up if the results aren’t what you expected.
Complete the form on the right to access this premium content.